Story: The Colder Hours

 The first episode of the short story, 
The Colder Hours.” 

The narrow road lined with crumbling asphalt, is not the route Isolde prefers. Bard insists they don’t take Route 7 because of the lunchtime traffic. Since he compromised during their trip to New Hampshire last week, Isolde agrees he can cash in those point to have his way to take Draught Road into town.  

Bard’s must have antique chifforobe sits well in the back of the old pick with the broken air conditioning. It is a very hot day. Isolde cups the wind in her hand to cool off.

“It’s been a long time since we’ve been this way.” Bard says, “The metal shed and that house are new.”

A deer is in a soybean field just at the edge of the woods. Bard slows so Isolde can take pictures. 

“He’s eating the whole plant.” Isolde observes.

Slowly Bard continues up the narrow road. On the right are fields and in the distance on the other side of Route 7 are the Green Mountains’ Presidential Range. On the left, a hill goes up and over, ending at Maple Street. 

“Did you feel that!?” Isolde asks as she folds her arms over her chest, “The cold, through the shade over the road? Isn’t it weird?”

“Contrast. Hot to cold contrast.” Bard laughs, “What does your spirit crew think?”

“I’m not getting anything. Maybe they enjoy the shade.” Isolde looks in the side mirror.

“Let’s have Maryell check the chifforobe for spirits.” 

“Good idea. I’m anxious to hear about their trip to Montana. I think they bought property there.”

“I’ll call Sam when we get home.” Bard says, “He told me they bought an old ranch somewhere in the northeastern area. Said it will be a lot of work to fix up the small house there.”

“When did y’all chat? Was I at the library .”

“Yes, on your book club afternoon. I stopped for coffee at the Main Street diner. He was there with his cousin from Upstate New York, Blue Lake I think. He has a cabin set off bunks he wants to sell. Rustic handmade, the price is good. They’d be good for our camp in New Hampshire.”

Next week: 

Will Maryell discover spirits in the chifforobe? 

Comments

Popular Posts